About Janet Finlay
Hi, I'm Janet Finlay and I'm the owner and primary trainer and coach at Canine Confidence. I began my 3-year training as a TTouch practitioner in 2004 and am now a TTouch Practitioner Level 3 (TTouch Guild), one of the most highly qualified practitioners in the UK. I am also a certified member of the UK Association of Pet Dog Trainers (01046), a member of the Pet Professionals Guild and a qualified coach. I use only respectful, kind, and effective methods - I will never scare or hurt your dog in the name of training - and I apply that philosophy to you as well. I believe that to address reactive behaviour effectively it is important to work on building confidence at both ends of the lead! With that in mind my training focuses on building engagement between you and your dog, so that they can more easily disengage with things out there that are scary.
So that you have confidence in my ability to help you, here are my key credentials:
- : I have studied TTouch with the top instructors in the world including the founder, Linda Tellington Jones, her sister Robyn Hood, Kathy Cascade, Debbie Potts, Edie Jane Eaton, as well as UK instructors Sarah Fisher, Tina Constance and Marie Miller. I am a full member of the TTouch Guild and I regularly assist with trainings for new TTouch practitioners, which ensures that I maintain and update my skills.
- Tailwagger Club in Leeds, and worked as a trainer in the club for several years. having passed both theory and practical assessments in 2009. To prepare for my APDT assessment, I successfully completed the Trainer Development Programme at the
- , holding an Institute of Leadership and Management Level 7 Coaching and Mentoring qualification.
- (and later professor) in Higher Education, specialising in elearning. Nothing to do with dogs but lots to do with knowing how to teach and run online courses!
- to keep up to date with new training methods and techniques, as well as dog behaviour and health. I have attended seminars recently led by the following experts: Turid Rugaas, Patricia McConnell, Susan Friedman, Chirag Patel and Pam McKinnon and have completed Professor Friedman's Living and Learning with Animals for Professionals course.
- A lifetime living with dogs, first with a pack of family Shelties, then with my own Maremma Sheepdogs for many years and, most recently, adding Smooth Collies and a Lurcher to the mix.
Find out more about How I Work...